Sunday, October 28, 2012

the Self


First thing's first. Coffee makes my world go round. My red blood cell to caffeine ratio is approaching equilibrium, I'm sure. And while we're on the topic of balance, I can safely say that I'm used to juggling lots of knick knacks at one time (grad school kinda has that effect on people). Though I prefer cubbying away to read, write and people watch, I can carry my own weight in the great balancing act, too.
As an Englishy person, I have a tendency to speak in metaphors and allusions. Unlike my preferences toward coffee, however, this doesn't make me a snobby person. I'm far from snobby and find my happiness through simple measures and pleasures. I adore literature, but it's really just one more ingredient (albeit key) in the little melting pot that is my Self.
Nothing makes me feel more accomplished or passionate than my writing. Yes, I'm a writer. Yes, I'm a mediocre poet. No, I'm not some prudish belle of Amherst, nor have any intentions of Sylvia Plathing anytime soon. I enjoy a good pun and laugh at bad jokes (usually of my own design). I'm introverted but spirited, sharp-witted but well-rounded, hyper-perceptive but focused. For the most part, I'm a calm, contented quiet little soul. I think that there are very few things a hot bath or mapless drive can't cure. No worries, though. Though I'm no Debbie Downer, I'm not obnoxiously optimistic either. In dire straights, I try my hand at the realist approach. I've even been known to draw up a few "pro/con" lists from time to time.
I'm a child at heart and will always love a good story. I wrote my Master's thesis on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland if that puts anything into perspective for you.  Whether through jeopardy, eaves dropping on conversation, or the latest edition of _Mental Floss_, I like picking up random tidbits of knowledge (even if I'll never really "use" them). Give me a good crossword puzzle and I'm happy.  I teach college English (writing and literature), and adore the fact that I am, daily, blending the practicality of a career with a genuine passion.  That said, I'm finding that in order to be truly content with my work, I need to veer away from composition and rely on my tried and true method, straight-up literature.  
My indecisiveness is either incredibly charming or blatantly obnoxious. I frequently change my mind, but that's only because I believe in seeing lots of options. I don't like feeling pinned down to one route if I can imagine others.
I like antiquing and rummaging through old, abandoned houses. I'm an old soul and feel a sincere connection to the past. It helps me feel and fill my own little place in the world.
If there's something you absolutely must know about me, it's this: I need my space. Maybe I just read Virginia Woolfe too early in life, but I genuinely believe that a woman needs "a room of her own." I  respect those who acknowledge my boundaries as much as I already do theirs. I'm a self-reliant lady who wants to surround herself with equally self-reliant people. I admire those certain individuals who are, at heart, rooted and ready to branch out with me from time to time.


No comments:

Post a Comment